Subject: Re: Lightwave: graphics card & flier
From: Dave Carlton <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 94 23:09:16 EDT

QUOTE START:
 
I was told at NewTek last night that they were indeed going to    
release versions of ScreamerNet for 486/Pentiums, SGIs, DEC Alpha,
and maybe some more, I can't remember.                           
                                                                  
For what it's worth, Lee Stranahan last night said they they had  
run some speed tests with a 60 MHz Pentium and found that it was  
about half the speed of the Raptor...with the Pentium machine     
running about $3000!  They haven't tested the 90 MHz yet, but     
expected it to be very fast...so, for the price of a Raptor, you  
could get 4 or 5 Pentium machines, and actually be faster than    
the Raptor!                                                      
                                                                
By the way, I'm not sure when these versions of ScreamerNet will  
be released.

QUOTE END:
 
Don't mislead people.. everyone should know that it is not only the
machine..  it is the RAM.. without the RAM you won't do much rendering.
For the price the Raptor is not a bad deal.  After all you basically
have 2 computers in that box each with a MIPS R4400 processor, 64MEGS
of Ram a piece.. and 2 hard drives.. the price is about right for a
machine of that power...  as well you plug a graphics card and a keyboard
and mouse and you have a nicely equiped workstation.  Sure you can get
a Pentium for $3000 but after you shell out for a couple more to bring
it to the speed of the Raptor, along with at least 32-64 megs of RAM you
will be spending far more.. 
 
Mark
- MATRIX PRODUCTIONS -
 
ps.  Allen.. Will there be an update for ScreamNet anytime soon.. the
     software is sooooo MOODY!